THE EASTERN IOWA BRASS BAND IS PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THE WINNERS OF THEIR 2017 YOUNG ARTISTS COMPETITION.
Hayden Wahlstrom is the high school division winner of our 2017 Young Artists Competition. Hayden is currently a senior at Marion High School where he plays Tenor Trombone in the band under the direction of Charles Oldenkamp. He studies privately with David Anderson and has several accomplishments on his young resume:
- State Solo & Ensemble 2016 – Div. I rating
- Iowa All-state Jazz Band 2016: 2nd Trombone
- Iowa All-State Band 2016: 1st Trombone
His performance of Alexandre Guilmant’s, “Morceau Symphonique” will be featured with the Eastern Iowa Brass Band on their concert on April 29th, at 7:30pm in Sinclair Auditorium at Coe College. Along with this featured solo performance, Hayden will receive a $500 cash prize from the EIBB.
Lydia Raim is the Collegiate division winner of our 2017 Young Artists Competition. With this win, Lydia has become the first two-time winner of the EIBB’s competition. Lydia previously won the High School division in the EIBB’s inaugural competition in 2012 when she was a junior in high school.
Lydia is a senior Music Education major at University of Northern Iowa and is currently student teaching in Eastern Iowa. While her primary instrument is Euphonium, she is also an accomplished vocalist and proficient on several other instruments. At U.N.I., Lydia studies with Dr. Jesse Orth and has an impressive resume of accomplishments:
- Awarded the Myron and Ruth Russell Award in the 2016 Spotlight Performance Competition at UNI.
- Finalist in the Wind Symphony Solo Competition in 2016.
- Finalist for the Student Euphonium Solo division at the Midwest Regional Tuba-Euphonium Conference in 2015.
- Iowa Bandmasters Association’s Major Landers Scholarship (high school)
- 3 years Iowa All-State Band
- 2013 Muscatine Symphony Concerto Competition winner
- 2012 Eastern Iowa Brass Band Young Artist Competion: High School Division winner.
Lydia’s performance of Eduardo Boccalari‘s, “Fantasia di Concerto” will be featured with the Eastern Iowa Brass Band on their concert on April 29th, at 7:30pm in Sinclair Auditorium at Coe College. Along with this featured solo performance, Lydia will receive a $500 cash prize from the EIBB.